Dargan, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Font size: A / A reset

Dargan, a post office community seven miles northeast of DeBerry in northeastern Panola County near the Louisiana state line, was probably established in the early 1880s. A post office opened there in 1888, and in the early 1890s the settlement had a general store, a lumberyard, and an estimated population of fifty. Its post office closed in 1908, and local mail was sent to Bethany, Louisiana. By the mid-1930s Dargan was no longer shown on county highway maps.

John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Dargan, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dargan-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading