Davenport, TX (Anderson County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Davenport was just south of Farm Road 1137 and six miles east of Palestine in eastern Anderson County. In the 1930s the community had a church and the black school for the Swanson Spring school district. Its school served some sixty-six pupils in 1932, but by 1955 had been consolidated with the Palestine schools. In 1982 only a single dwelling was at the site, and in 1985 Davenport was no longer named on county highway maps.

Thomas Paul Jones, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Anderson County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1934).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Davenport, TX (Anderson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/davenport-tx-anderson-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Davenport
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Anderson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.76822700°
  • Longitude: -95.53912040°