William Davidson, surgeon in the Texas army, was born in Tennessee. On January 14, 1836, he enlisted for six months in the Volunteer Auxiliary Corps at Nacogdoches and during the San Jacinto campaign served as surgeon of Col. Edward Burleson's First Regiment, Texas Volunteers. During the battle of San Jacinto Davidson was detailed to remain with the sick at the army camp. Sam Houston nominated Davidson as a surgeon, and his nomination was confirmed by the Senate of the Republic of Texas on May 22, 1837. He was married in 1845 and lived in Rusk County. He received a land warrant for 640 acres for his service at San Jacinto. In 1853 he received 320 acres and on June 4, 1857, he received 320 acres in Cooke County. In 1850 he was listed as J. F. Davidson, farmer, with a wife named Mary and one child. In 1860 he, his wife, and three children lived in Cooke County; his occupation was "M.D."