Davis, TX


By: Linda Peterson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Davis, also known as Davistown and as Davis Switch, is a farming community on State Highway 97 eight miles southwest of Charlotte in southwestern Atascosa County. It was named for M. M. Davis, a local rancher who gave land for the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad in 1914. From 1925 to 1929 the community was served by a post office officially named Daviston; Joe Key was the first postmaster. In the 1940s the community had a factory, two other businesses, and a few widely scattered dwellings. By the 1980s only a few dwellings remained at the site. The population was eight in 2000.

Atascosa County History (Pleasanton, Texas: Atascosa History Committee, 1984). Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Linda Peterson, “Davis, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/davis-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Davis
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379640
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Atascosa County
Associated Names

-Switch

-town

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.79970030°
  • Longitude: -98.75724720°
Population Counts
People Year
8 2009