Day Land and Cattle Company, a private corporation with headquarters in Austin, was organized on March 24, 1884, by James Monroe Day, Charles E. Anderson, Frank M. Maddox, John W. Maddox, and John W. Powers to buy, sell, and lease Texas land for grazing and breeding beef cattle. The company, chartered for fifty years with a capital stock of $510,000, bought 174,854 acres of donation and bounty land scrip and leased several thousand acres. On August 4, 1885, it leased 203,000 acres in Greer County. The loss of this property to Oklahoma was probably at least partly responsible for the firm's decline.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Laura V. Hamner, Short Grass and Longhorns (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1943). Joseph G. McCoy, Historic Sketches of the Cattle Trade of the West and Southwest (Kansas City, Missouri: Ramsey, Millett, and Hudson, 1874; rpt., Philadelphia: Porcupine, 1974).
- Ranching and Cowboys
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Day Land and Cattle Company,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/day-land-and-cattle-company.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.