Days Chapel, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994

Updated: October 20, 2020


Days Chapel, also known as Day School, is near the intersection of Farm Road 1817 and a country road ten miles southeast of Palestine in southeastern Anderson County. In the 1930s the site had a number of dwellings, a church, and a district school for White students. The Day school served some sixty-two pupils in 1932. A school for Black students was two miles to the east in the Union Hope Church community. The Day school had consolidated with that of Slocum by 1955, and by 1982 Days Chapel had a few scattered dwellings and a church. In 1985 the church was still standing. By 2000 Days Chapel was no longer shown on maps.

Thomas Paul Jones, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Anderson County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1934).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Days Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/days-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994
October 20, 2020

Place
Days Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1355730
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Anderson County
Associated Names

Day School

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.65934100°
  • Longitude: -95.51495200°