Dean, TX (Clay County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: December 1, 1994


Dean is on State Highway 79 fifteen miles northwest of Henrietta in northwest Clay County. The settlement began as a cattle-shipping station when the Wichita Falls and Oklahoma Railway selected the site as a railroad switch in 1904–05. As a community developed the settlers named the location Dean in honor of Callaway Dean, one of the pioneer ranchers of the county. A little later the residents began to refer to the location as Dean-Dale in recognition of James E. Dale, the founder of the 13,000-acre Dale Ranch, established in 1896. The population of Dean climbed from a reported twenty-five in 1947 to 223 in 1988. In 1990 it was 277 and in 2000 it was 341.

William Charles Taylor, A History of Clay County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Dean, TX (Clay County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dean-tx-clay-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
December 1, 1994

Place
Dean
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2410305
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Clay County
Associated Names

Dean-Dale

Mabledean

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.91718950°
  • Longitude: -98.39844400°
Population Counts
People Year
277 1990
341 2000
493 2010
474 2019