Deep Lake, in northwestern Hall County, became the first post office in the county in November 1884, with Frederick S. Lord as postmaster. The office was moved ten miles northeast to the dugout of J. H. Lafferty, who acted as postmaster, and was renamed Ephraim for Ephraim H. Cone, an early settler, in August 1886. Mail was delivered to Lafferty from Clarendon by passing cowboys and later by W. R. Martin. This office was discontinued in May 1890, but Deep Lake again secured a post office in July 1909, with Rhoda Baker as postmistress. This office was closed in August 1911, and thereafter the community was served by rural free delivery from Lakeview. The Deep Lake area was the scene of the first ranching in the county, a fact that probably accounts for the early post office. It was named for a large lake that for many years was considered "bottomless." The site was a favorite campground for Indians, and stories were circulated that great treasures were buried near the lake. Although a few businesses were located there in 1909, only farms remained in the vicinity in the 1980s.