The DeKalb and Red River Railroad Company was chartered on November 27, 1891, with a capital stock of $50,000. Track was to be laid between DeKalb and the Red River to the north in Bowie County, a distance of ten miles. The members of the first board of directors included P. S. Ramsen, William Peters, and C. A. Skinner, all of DeKalb; and Benjamin Whitaker, J. H. Smelsen, J. C. Whitaker, G. B. Ellis, and Waverly Whitaker, all of Texarkana. In 1892 the line built eight miles between DeKalb and Lennox and 1 1/2 miles between Muir and Mooresville. The railroad hauled logs for the DeKalb Lumber Company and owned only its road bed and ties. Rails, equipment, and fuel were provided by the lumber company. In 1895 the DeKalb and Red River reported total freight earnings of $5,000 and used one locomotive and sixteen freight cars. The company was dropped by the Railroad Commission by June 30, 1899, as the railroad had been abandoned and the rails removed.