Delba, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Delba is on State Highway 78 five miles east of Leonard in southwestern Fannin County. It was formed in the mid-1870s when a Methodist church was established and a school opened. In 1879 postal service to the community began. By the mid-1880s Delba had fifty residents, a cotton gin, a steam flour mill, and nine businesses. Because of the decline in the community's population the post office closed in 1906. By the mid-1930s the population was reported at twenty-five, and by 1980 was reported at twenty, where it remained in 1990. In the early 1990s Delba served as a community center for area farmers.

W. A. Carter, History of Fannin County, Texas (Bonham, Texas: Bonham News, 1885; rpt., Honey Grove, Texas: Fannin County Historical Society, 1975). Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Delba, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/delba-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Delba
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379648
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fannin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.37511090°
  • Longitude: -96.33109220°