Denison and Pacific Railway

By: Donna J. Kumler

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995

The Denison and Pacific Railway, originally organized as one of several projects of Col. Bob Stevens, John Scullin, and Ben Munson, was chartered on April 24, 1878, to build from Denison to Belknap, about 150 miles. The capital was $1.5 million, and the business office was in Denison. Members of the first board of directors included Scullin and R. S. Sterns of St. Louis; Henry D. Mirich of Hamilton, Missouri; and R. C. Fister, Edward Perry, William H. Sanford, and Alexander W. Acheson of Denison. In 1878–79 the company built 41.89 miles of track from Denison, the northern terminus, to Gainesville via Whitesboro. The line was abandoned in 1879, but on March 11, 1880, it was sold to the Denison and Southeastern Railway Company, which was renamed the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Extension Railway Company on March 23, 1880. Subsequent consolidation made what was once the Denison and Pacific one of the earliest acquisitions of the Katy in its intrastate expansion program.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Donna J. Kumler, “Denison and Pacific Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 1, 1995