Denison and Southeastern Railway

By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995

The Denison and Southeastern Railway Company was chartered on July 27, 1877, by the citizens of Denison and Greenville to build a road along the fifty-mile stretch between the two communities. The company had an initial capital of $50,000, and the business office was in Denison. Members of the first board of directors included William Whitewright, William H. Appleton, Nathaniel L. McCready, Hezron A. Johnson, Edward R. Bell, George J. Forrest, Francis Skiddy, Horace M. Ruggles, all from New York, and Alexander W. Acheson of Denison. The Denison and Southeastern Railway completed twenty miles between Denison and Whitewright in early 1880 and acquired the seventy-one miles of the Denison and Pacific on March 11, 1880. On March 23 the name of the railroad was changed to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Extension Railway Company, which completed the thirty-two miles from Whitewright to Greenville.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Denison and Southeastern Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995