Denning, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 9, 2020


Denning is on Farm Road 3409 eight miles west of San Augustine in northwestern San Augustine County. A post office was opened there in 1891, and by 1896 Denning had an estimated fifty inhabitants, a Baptist church, three general stores, two gins, two sawmills, two flour mills, and two blacksmith shops. In 1904 the community had a one-teacher school for forty-seven White pupils and another for twenty-four Black pupils. By 1914 Denning claimed to have 200 inhabitants. The post office was closed in the 1930s, and the population declined to seventy-five by 1939. In 1940 the community had two churches, a school, three businesses, and several dwellings. Residents numbered 361 in 1968. In 1990 and 2000 the population was still 361.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Denning, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/denning-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 9, 2020

Place
Denning
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379653
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Augustine County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.51462680°
  • Longitude: -94.24519920°
Population Counts
People Year
100 2009