Denworth, TX

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Font size: A / A reset

Denworth, near Farm Road 2857 three miles east of the Wheeler county line in eastern Gray County, was laid out in 1919 as a townsite for the Fort Worth and Denver Railway, for which it was named. Although it thrived for a time as an area shipping point during the oil boom days, its isolated location eventually caused the town to fail. A post office was opened in 1932 with Mrs. Ina Marshal as postmistress, and by 1939 the number of residents was estimated at fifty. Despite a reported population increase to 100 in 1945, the post office closed in March 1946. The completion of Interstate Highway 40 has subsequently caused the community to fall almost into oblivion. A pump station was still at the site in 1988.

Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Denworth, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/denworth-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading