Desert, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Desert is on State Highway 160 in far northeast Collin County, within two miles of the intersection of the Grayson and Fannin county lines. The town, settled about 1890, has the same name as the creek that runs just outside it. A post office was established in 1893 but was discontinued in 1904. For most of its history Desert has served area farmers as a retail point, providing a general store, a school, a church, and a gristmill. The population of the community, never more than 100, was twenty-five from 1933 through 2000.

Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Desert, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/desert-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Desert
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1355937
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Collin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.38844410°
  • Longitude: -96.40192770°
Population Counts
People Year
35 2009