Dewalt, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Dewalt is at the intersection of State Highway 6 and Farm Road 1092, fourteen miles east of Richmond in eastern Fort Bend County. In the 1850s the site was the plantation headquarters of Thomas Waters Dewalt. After the Civil War the sugar plantation was divided into small blocks, and a predominantly black community grew up there. The town was granted a post office in 1898. The Sugar Land Railroad was built through the community in 1912, and by 1914 Dewalt had a population of 100, two general stores, and a sugar mill. The railroad was abandoned in the 1950s. Dewalt's population was estimated at twenty from 1925 to 1969, forty from 1970 to 1987, and twenty-five from 1988 to 1990. In 1980 the community had a church and a number of dwellings, and by 1990 the city limits of Missouri City had encompassed it.

S. A. McMillan, comp., The Book of Fort Bend County (Richmond, Texas, 1926).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Dewalt, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dewalt-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Dewalt
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1334312
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fort Bend County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.55662470°
  • Longitude: -95.55661120°