Dicey, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Dicey is on a spur off Farm Road 730 eight miles northeast of Weatherford in northeastern Parker County. The first settlers moved near the present site of Dicey in the mid to late 1850s. This group established one of the earliest churches in Parker County, and a community developed around it. Originally the settlement was called Power after Parson Power. Later the name Dicey was chosen in honor of the wife of pioneer settler W. G. Puryear. A post office was established there in 1891 and discontinued in 1929. Throughout its history Dicey served area farmers as a church and school community. The population of Dicey was reported at sixty-three from the mid-1920s through the mid-1940s, when it dropped to just over twenty. Dicey still existed in 1990.

John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas, a Comprehensive Look at Texas Today, County by County (Dallas: Clements Research, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Dicey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dicey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Dicey
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378213
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Parker County
Associated Names

Clear Fork

Nebo

Power

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.80734950°
  • Longitude: -97.69919490°
Population Counts
People Year
40 2014