Frank Clifford Dillard, attorney, was born to George C. and Mary Frances (Williams) Dillard at Auburn, Alabama, in 1854. He graduated from Alabama Polytechnic Institute, located in his home town, and taught for some time at a woman's college in Kentucky. In 1897 he was admitted to the state bar of Kentucky, but rather than establish a practice in that state he moved to Grayson County, Texas, settling in Sherman. He quickly was admitted to the state bar and in 1883 established a partnership with David E. Bryant, who in 1890 became United States district judge for the eastern district of Texas. Dillard later was a partner in three other law firms in Sherman. He married Mary S. Rountree on July 10, 1894. His legal abilities combined with his location in the Sherman-Denison area, which was a rail center, apparently recommended him to rail magnate E. H. Harriman, who in 1907 hired Dillard. Dillard relocated to Chicago, hub of the Harriman railroad lines, where he oversaw legal work relating to interstate commerce. In 1912 Dillard became vice president and general counsel of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway, a position that he held for two years. In April 1914 Dillard resigned his position with the railroad and returned to Sherman. He joined the firm of Head, Dillard, Maxey-Freeman, and McReynolds. Dillard was a member of the Democratic party and the Methodist church. He died at his home in Sherman on September 25, 1938.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
Who Was Who in America, Vol. 1.
Law, Law Enforcement, and Outlaws
Commercial and Corporate Law
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
“Dillard, Frank Clifford,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed July 02, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
Most Recent Revision Date:
August 1, 1995