Divide, TX (Hopkins County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Divide, on Farm Road 3389 ten miles southwest of the community of Sulphur Springs in southwestern Hopkins County, first formed around 1880, when a post office was established there with James Webster as postmaster. By 1885 the town had a steam gristmill, two cotton gins, three churches, a district school, and a population of 130. By 1890 its population had dropped to twenty-five, and in 1899 the post office closed. A school was in operation there around 1900, and a Baptist church was established in 1905, but by the mid-1930s the community no longer appeared on highway maps. In the 1960s Divide had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In the late 1980s the community still had a church.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Divide, TX (Hopkins County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/divide-tx-hopkins-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Divide
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034653
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hopkins County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.04872720°
  • Longitude: -95.71301550°