Divide, TX (Nolan County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Divide was on Farm Road 126 two miles northeast of the site that became Nolan in east central Nolan County. The Dora Methodist Church, presumably named for a nearby community, was established in Divide about 1889. In 1904 the Nolan community built Slater's Chapel Methodist Church and dedicated a cemetery near the Divide settlement. The church building was disassembled and moved to Nolan in 1939. Four rural schools, including the Dora and Nolan schools, combined in 1928 to form the Divide Rural School District, which operated through the 1970s. Nothing remained of the former settlement by the 1980s except the Slater's Chapel cemetery.

E. L. Yeats and Hooper Shelton, History of Nolan County (Sweetwater, Texas: Shelton, 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Divide, TX (Nolan County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/divide-tx-nolan-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Divide
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Nolan County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.27403200°
  • Longitude: -100.24481000°