Dobskyville, TX


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Dobskyville was three miles west of U.S. Highway 183 in northern Goliad County. Frederick and Agatha Dobsky, immigrants from Berlin, established a residence in the area in the 1850s. A grandson, Henry Dobsky, a rancher and farmer, opened a store in 1905 near the public road (now Farm Road 884) to serve neighboring farmers and ranchers. He enlarged the store and added a saloon in 1907. Two years later he built a dance hall. A local school was established in 1905. The area, which became known as Dobskyville, was a popular gathering place for celebrations, barbecues, dances, and political and sports events. Henry Dobsky operated the store until he retired in 1935; that same year the Dobskyville school was consolidated with the nearby Weesatche school. The dance hall was destroyed later by a hurricane. In 1986 the county highway map still designated the location as Dobskyville Community.

Goliad County Historical Commission, The History and Heritage of Goliad County, ed. Jakie L. Pruett and Everett B. Cole (Austin: Eakin, 1983).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Dobskyville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dobskyville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Dobskyville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Goliad County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.90540300°
  • Longitude: -97.40160400°