Dora, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 24, 2018


Dora is near Elm Creek four miles east of Nolan in east central Nolan County. The community was established in 1877 and is said to have been the first in the county and the site of the first rural school. In 1888 it received a post office, which was named Dora after the daughter of the first postmaster, Edward Lewis Collings. In 1891 the Dora school district was established, and by the early 1900s Dora had several churches, various stores, a gin, and a blacksmith shop. The community's population declined after its school merged with the Divide district in 1928. Many of Dora's citizens moved to Nolan. Its post office was discontinued on February 24, 1938, and by 1940 the population of Dora was fifteen. Dora was identified on the 1980 county highway map, which showed a cemetery at the site.

Lelia Jeanette Wade, Our Community: Organization and Development of Nolan County (Sweetwater, Texas, 1960). E. L. Yeats and Hooper Shelton, History of Nolan County (Sweetwater, Texas: Shelton, 1975).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Dora, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dora-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 24, 2018

Place
Dora
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1334496
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Nolan County
Associated Names

Nolan

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.28346090°
  • Longitude: -100.17704180°