Dorchester, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Dorchester is on Farm Road 902 eight miles southwest of Sherman in south central Grayson County. It was established in the late 1800s and named for C. B. Dorchester, a Sherman banker. The community was on the St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railway and quickly became a retail and community center for area farmers. In 1896 it received a post office, and over the next four decades Dorchester prospered. By the mid-1930s it had an estimated 400 residents and ten businesses. Later the population declined, and in 1989 the town had 222 residents and four rated businesses. In 1990 its population was 137 and in 2000 it was 109.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Dorchester, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dorchester-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Dorchester
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2412441
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Grayson County
Associated Names

Voelkle

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.54450250°
  • Longitude: -96.70034900°
Population Counts
People Year
137 1990
109 2000
148 2010
168 2019