Dorsey, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Dorsey was near the junction of Dorsey and Ripley creeks, about nine miles northwest of Mount Pleasant in northwestern Titus County. The Dorsey post office was operated by Henry S. Summerlin at his mill and gin from 1891 to 1893. An abandoned public cemetery nearby containing between fifty and 100 graves suggests that there was an organized community at Dorsey at least for a brief period, but nothing further is known about the settlement.

Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?). Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Dorsey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dorsey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Dorsey
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Titus County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.22789400°
  • Longitude: -95.09799520°