Douglas Chapel, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Douglas Chapel is just east of State Highway 43 and ten miles east of Jefferson in eastern Marion County. The Douglas Chapel school had twenty-six black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse that accommodated twenty-seven black elementary students. The school was consolidated with the Jefferson schools by 1955, and in 1962 all that remained at the community site was a church, which was still identified on state highway maps in 1983.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Douglas Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/douglas-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Douglas Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1334554
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.77180800°
  • Longitude: -94.17546430°