Douro, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Douro, ten miles southwest of Odessa in south central Ector County, was founded when the Texas and Pacific Railway built through the area in 1881. Original plans for the settlement set aside a city lot for a future courthouse. Although developers advertised the area and sold property, the community grew little beyond a station house. Development was stimulated by the establishment of the oil industry in the late 1920s, and by 1930 Douro reported a population of twenty-five and one business. In the early 1980s Douro remained a Missouri-Pacific railroad switch, just south of Interstate Highway 20.

Finas Wade Horton, A History of Ector County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Douro, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/douro-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Douro
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378222
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Ector County
Associated Names

Duro

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.76179480°
  • Longitude: -102.52570080°
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until June 20, 2022
Adopted by:
Ector County Utility District
Dedication Message:
In honor of Founders of ECUD