Dozier is near Dozier Creek and the Salt Fork of the Red River in northwestern Collingsworth County. The site was on the Rocking Chair Ranch until the ranch ceased to exist. After 1900 the community developed as a result of increased agricultural population in the northern part of the county. Early settlers included the families of C. H. Helvey, who built the first general store in 1904, and J. S. Caperton. Mrs. Caperton became the first postmistress in 1904. In 1909, when the Dozier school district was organized, a small schoolhouse was built a mile south of the present site. The location was changed several times before 1913, when school bonds were issued and a larger building was constructed. This building served Dozier until 1929, when a $6,000 brick building was erected. By 1930 Dozier had three general stores, two gins, a church, a barbershop, a garage, and a population of sixty. By 1940 the population had reached 100. Subsequently, economic change resulted in a population decrease. In 1984 Dozier had two churches, two businesses, and a population of thirty. The population remained the same through 2000.