Drane, on Farm Road 744 six miles west of Corsicana in west central Navarro County, was founded in the early 1880s. A post office opened there in 1883, and by 1892 the community had a population of forty. At its height in the 1890s Drane had a flour mill and cotton gin, Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist churches, and a number of houses. Its estimated population in 1896 was seventy-five. The Drane post office closed in 1906, but by the mid-1930s the community still had two stores, a church, a school, and several houses. After World War II, however, its businesses, church, and school all closed, and by the mid-1960s only a few widely scattered houses remained in the area. In 1990 Drane was a dispersed community with a reported population of sixteen. The population remained the same in 2000.