Dreka, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Dreka, on Farm Road 2427 sixteen miles southeast of Center in southeastern Shelby County, was founded about 1890. A post office was established there in 1894 with Martin Shofner as postmaster; it closed in 1907. In 1933 Dreka had one business and a population estimated at twenty-five, and in 1946 it had several houses, a gin, a store, and a church. By 1988 only the church and widely scattered houses remained in the area. Dreka was still listed as a community in 1990.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Dreka, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dreka-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Dreka
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381789
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Gilford

Grover

Payne

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.67489730°
  • Longitude: -93.95630170°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2009