Driftwood, TX


By: Daniel P. Greene

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Driftwood, seventeen miles northwest of San Marcos in central Hays County, grew up in the 1880s as a supply center for neighboring ranches and farms. Pioneers settled in the area, then known as Liberty Hill, as early as 1850, but most settlers arrived in the early 1880s. The community grew rapidly in that decade, perhaps as a result of its access to the new rail terminals at Kyle and Buda. By 1890 Driftwood had a post office, a school, churches, a cotton gin, and a general store. From a low of ten in 1925, the population grew to nearly 100 during the middle years of the twentieth century, then dwindled to fewer than twenty-five by the 1970s. In 1945 Driftwood became part of the Buda school district. A century after its founding, the community remained a quiet Hill Country crossroads served by a general store and post office. In 1990 the population was twenty-one.

Mary Starr Barkley, A History of Central Texas (Austin: Austin Printing, 1970).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Daniel P. Greene, “Driftwood, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/driftwood-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Driftwood
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378229
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hays County
Associated Names

Liberty Hill

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.12298760°
  • Longitude: -98.03084250°
Population Counts
People Year
144 2010
200 2019