Drop, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Drop is on Farm Road 1384 four miles northwest of Justin in southwest Denton County. Legend has it that the rural community, originally part of the Denton Creek settlement established in 1854, petitioned postal authorities for a post office to be named Dewdrop. When the federal agency announced that Texas already had a town with that name, the residents simply decided to remove the first three letters and adopt the name of Drop. The Drop post office opened in 1886. Located in a wheat-producing area of Denton County, Drop acted as a supply point for area farmers. The railroad tracks, built near Justin in the late 1880s, attracted people and businesses from the surrounding rural communities. The post office at Drop was closed by 1910. In 1936 the population was estimated at thirty-eight. It was reported at fewer than thirty in 1963.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Drop, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 15, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/drop-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Drop
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378230
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Denton County
Associated Names

Oliver

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.13095410°
  • Longitude: -97.35585300°
Population Counts
People Year
90 2009