Drummond, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Drummond was just west of the Brazos River and three miles southwest of the site of present Newcastle in west central Young County. The settlement evolved in the late nineteenth century across the river from the now-abandoned Belknap community and was named after the pioneer Drummond family, who owned a 5,000-acre local ranch. A post office was established in Drummond in 1895 with Virgil E. Curtis as postmaster; mail service was moved to Graham in 1909.

Carrie J. Crouch, Young County: History and Biography (Dallas: Dealey and Love, 1937; rev. ed., A History of Young County, Texas, Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1956). Jim Wheat, Postmasters and Post Offices of Texas, 1846–1930 (Microfilm, Grover C. Ramsey Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Drummond, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/drummond-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Drummond
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1334631
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Young County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.08567000°
  • Longitude: -98.75922940°