Druso, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Druso, nine miles east of Ratcliff in eastern Houston County, was established around 1900 as a stop on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway. A post office opened there in 1902 with Mrs. E. F. Moore as postmaster. By 1914 Druso had a sorghum mill, two general stores, a cotton gin, and an estimated population of 100. The community began to decline in the early 1920s. Its post office closed in 1921, and by the mid-1930s the town was no longer shown on highway maps. In the early 1990s only a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Druso, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/druso-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading