Duff, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Duff, eleven miles south of Center in south central Shelby County, was a flag stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway and, for a brief period in 1907, the site of a post office. Residents of the area boarded the passenger train at Duff as it passed on its route from Longview to Beaumont. It was also a place where hoboes caught freight trains as they slowed to check for the signal to stop. By 1974 the flag stop had been abandoned.

Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Duff, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/duff-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Duff
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379682
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.63934440°
  • Longitude: -94.12908480°