Dulin, TX


By: Jeanne F. Lively

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Dulin was just off U.S. Highway 377 some two miles southeast of Brookesmith in Brown County. The farming and ranching community was named for Thomas S. Dulin, a teacher who served in the Civil War in Gager's Mounted Battalion. After Dulin received his discharge, he resumed teaching and married a schoolteacher. The couple purchased land, reportedly totaling twenty sections, and settled in the Clear Creek area. The first Dulin postmaster was Joseph J. Boyd, who was appointed in 1896. The Dulin post office was discontinued in 1903, when mail was rerouted through Brookesmith. Students attended a local school during the 1930s, but the school seems to have been consolidated, since the school board offered to sell the site on March 9, 1948. In the 1940s Dulin had two businesses and a population of fifty. Though no population figures are available after that time, the community continued to be shown on maps in 2000.

Estill Allen, Southwest Brown County, Texas (Brookesmith, Texas: Brookesmith Volunteer Fire Department, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Jeanne F. Lively, “Dulin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dulin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Dulin
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379684
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brown County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.53182570°
  • Longitude: -99.09893900°