Duncan's Woods, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Duncan's (Duncans) Woods, also known as Duncan Woods and as Duncan's Wood, was on the nineteenth-century Beaumont and Orange Road in western Orange County. A scattered settlement was present there by 1854, when the Duncan's Woods post office was established. Though first designated as part of Jefferson County, the office was quickly switched to the new Orange County. Gilbert W. Stephenson served as its first postmaster. During the 1850s the Duncan's Woods area was considered one of the most valuable in the county, with higher land prices than for other Orange County sites. Several railroad contractors maintained camps there for workers building the Texas and New Orleans Railroad through Orange County in 1860. Yet the settlement was subsequently abandoned, and its post office was discontinued in 1866. By the mid-1980s the area was virtually treeless, with the North Port Neches and Bessie Heights oil and gas fields roughly marking the old townsite.

W. T. Block, A History of Jefferson County, Texas, from Wilderness to Reconstruction (M.A. thesis, Lamar University, 1974; Nederland, Texas: Nederland Publishing, 1976). Jacob DeCordova, Texas, Her Resources and Her Public Men (Philadelphia: Crozet, 1858; rpt., Waco: Texian Press, 1969).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Duncan's Woods, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/duncans-woods-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Duncan's Woods
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Orange County
Associated Names

Connell

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.10160040°
  • Longitude: -93.99461980°