Duplex, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: October 20, 2020


Duplex is on Farm Road 273 some fifteen miles north of Bonham and just east of Lake Fannin near the Caddo National Grassland in northeastern Fannin County. The community formed in the early 1880s. It was named to indicate that two families-whose names are not known-settled there in the 1850s. Duplex apparently served as a school community for area farmers and had two schools: Liberty, for White children, and Bethlehem, for Black. From 1899 to 1909 the community had a post office. In 1936 the estimated population in Duplex was forty-two. In 1990 and 2000 it was twenty-five.

Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Duplex, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/duplex-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
October 20, 2020

Place
Duplex
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379688
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fannin County
Associated Names

Dover

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.77787860°
  • Longitude: -96.13914670°
Population Counts
People Year
25 2014