Dutchman Creek rises twelve miles southwest of Matador on the eastern edge of the Caprock in extreme western Motley County (at 33°56' N, 101°01' W) and runs southeast for twenty miles to its mouth on the South Pease or Tongue River, about three miles southeast of Roaring Springs in south central Motley County (at 33°52' N, 100°48' W). When the area was originally settled, the stream was called Walnut Creek for the walnut trees that lined its banks. By 1877 it had been renamed for a settler who established a homestead in the area. The Matador Ranch later incorporated the region into its holdings and established the Dutchman line camp on the creek some six miles south of Matador. Campbell Lake, a small man-made reservoir, is on the creek about four miles east of its headwaters. The stream traverses rolling terrain surfaced by sandy loams that support brush and grasses.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Dutchman Creek (Motley County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 28, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dutchman-creek-motley-county.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.