Duval was a farming community on the International-Great Northern Railroad about ten miles north of Austin in northern Travis County. The site was settled in 1875 and was named for local storeowner Douglas Duval. A post office moved there in 1877 from Mount Juliet, and James A. Wright served as postmaster. By the mid-1880s the community had a district school, three churches, three stores, and seventy-five residents. Stone and cedar were the principal commodities shipped from the area. The population of Duval was estimated at fifty in 1890 and at thirty-five in 1899. The Duval post office was discontinued in 1902, and mail for the community was sent to McNeil. The area that made up the Duval community was annexed by the city of Austin in the mid-1970s.