Dye, also known as Dye Mound, is a farming community ten miles southeast of Montague on a spur off Farm Road 3206 in southeastern Montague County. Its settlement occurred in 1880, and the community developed around J. D. Bybee's general store. A post office branch operated at Dye from 1884 to 1905. Throughout its history Dye has functioned as a community center for area farmers. Its recorded population has never exceeded sixty, and from the late 1940s through the 1990s no population estimates were available. In 1961 three dwellings and a church were in the vicinity. The 1983 county highway map showed a cemetery there. In 2000 the population was 200.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
David Minor, “Dye, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dye-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.