Clement C. Dyer, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was born at Dyersburg, Tennessee, on January 29, 1799. He moved to Texas in 1822 and, on June 5, 1824, married Sarah Stafford, daughter of William Stafford. They had twelve children. On August 10, 1824, Dyer received title to a league of land in what is now Colorado County; on August 24 of that year he received title to 1½ labors of land in what is now Waller County. In 1825 Indians frightened Mrs. Dyer away from their home, and in April 1826 Dyer made affidavits concerning Indian hostilities. In 1833 he became the manager of the Stafford plantation. Soon afterward he was appointed to oversee the records of the Department of the Brazos. Sometime before March 28, 1835, he sold a half league to his father-in-law. On November 7, 1835, as a delegate to the Consultation from Harrisburg Municipality (see HARRISBURG COUNTY) he was one of the signers of the declaration that cited the causes for taking up arms against the Centralist forces of Antonio López de Santa Anna. After the Texas Revolution Dyer was justice of the peace in Harrisburg (later Harris) County. He moved to Fort Bend County in 1837 and from 1838 to 1841 was justice of the peace in the lower precinct of that county. He was also actively involved in the Methodist church organized in 1839 in Richmond. In 1843 he was elected county chief justice, a post he held until August 1856. On January 15, 1845, he was appointed to a committee that was to draft resolutions expressing the sentiments of Fort Bend County citizens regarding the annexation of Texas to the United States. The census of 1860 listed him as a wealthy planter with an estate worth $40,000. He died near Richmond in 1864.