Dyersdale, TX

By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Dyersdale is on Farm Road 527 and the Missouri Pacific line (formerly the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway) six miles northeast of Houston in northeastern Harris County. It was named for Clement C. Dyer, a colonist in Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred. Dyersdale had a post office from 1913 to 1917. In 1914 the community had a lumber company and a population of 250. The 1936 county highway map showed the William G. Smiley school and scattered dwellings at the townsite. A local oilfield that opened in the mid-1930s was still in production in 1946. In the 1980s the area had a church, a trailer park, and an abandoned railroad station.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Dyersdale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dyersdale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading