Eagle Pass Army Air Field, ten miles north of Eagle Pass in Maverick County, was an advanced single-engine flying school during World War II. It was activated in 1942 and converted to a basic flying school in November 1944. All flight training at the field was discontinued in April 1945. During the Eisenhower administration an early-warning radar station was built on the site. It was later closed, and since then the facility has been used for county housing.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- World War II
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Art Leatherwood, “Eagle Pass Army Air Field,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/eagle-pass-army-air-field.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.