Eagle, TX

By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995

Eagle is east of Farm Road 563 between Oak Island and Double Bayou, forty-eight miles southwest of Beaumont in southern Chambers County. It derived its name from the eagle's nest built in a tall pine tree on the West (formerly North) Fork of Double Bayou. The community's post office, established in 1913, also served residents of Glen and Graydon when those post offices were discontinued in 1918 and 1919, respectively. At one time Eagle had a school and served as a voting precinct. In 1936 Eagle had two businesses, but none were reported after the early 1970s. The Eagle post office was discontinued in 1943. The scattered community reported a population of fifty-four in 1920 and fifty from the late 1940s through 2000.

Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Eagle, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/eagle-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Chambers County
Associated Names



  • Latitude: 29.67050000°
  • Longitude: -94.67075000°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2014