East Caney, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


East Caney, a farming community off Interstate Highway 30 and just west of East Caney Creek nine miles east of Sulphur Springs in eastern Hopkins County, was settled before 1900. In the mid-1930s East Caney had a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of its residents moved away. Its school was consolidated with the Saltillo school district, and by the early 1960s only a church and two cemeteries remained in the area. In the early 1990s East Caney was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “East Caney, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/east-caney-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading