East Mayfield was in what is now the southwestern portion of Hemphill in central Sabine County. The community, named for Earle B. Mayfield, formed around the large lumber mill built there in 1912 by Hiram Knox of the Knox Lumber Company. The town was incorporated in January 1919, and in 1922 the lumber company was sold to the Temple Lumber Company. By 1930 the town had a population of 1,179, with most of the adult residents working for the lumber company. The timber on the company's land was rapidly depleted, and when the mill burned in 1937, it was not rebuilt. In 1939 the town was disincorporated, and gradually its residents moved away. Many became part of the Hemphill community.