Echo, TX (Bell County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Echo, formerly called Miller, was a post office and railroad station on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad two miles south of Temple in central Bell County. The site was known as Miller until about 1884, when the railroad established a branch line there, known as the Belton Railroad, and the community became a station at the intersection of the two lines. In 1884 a post office called Echo was granted to the community, which was known by that name through at least 1948. In 1890 Echo had a hotel, a railroad agent, and seven inhabitants. Its post office was discontinued in 1894. In 1948 Echo consisted of several scattered dwellings, and by 1988 the site of the community was within the Temple city limits.

Bertha Atkinson, The History of Bell County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Echo, TX (Bell County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/echo-tx-bell-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Echo
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Associated Names

Miller