Eckert, TX

By: Martin Donell Kohout

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Eckert is 11½ miles northeast of Fredericksburg in northeastern Gillespie County. It was originally called Nebo, presumably after nearby Mount Nebo, and was founded in 1875 when eight Anglo-American families settled there and built a log church called Mount Zion. The town was officially renamed when local farmer and merchant Wilhelm Rudolph Eckert opened a post office in 1903. The population was estimated at 100 in 1925 but fell to fifteen in 1933 and to seven in 1964.

Gillespie County Historical Society, Pioneers in God's Hills (2 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1960, 1974).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Martin Donell Kohout, “Eckert, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 27, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/eckert-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading