Edgeworth, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 6, 2016


Edgeworth is on South Elm Creek and Farm Road 2184, fourteen miles southeast of Temple near the Milam county line in southeastern Bell County. Frank Slovak and his wife established a general store that was later purchased by Otto Gavenda. A post office was established there in 1894, and in 1896 the community included a Baptist church, a drugstore, a doctor, and a blacksmith shop owned and operated by Joe Batla. A cotton gin built by Ben Bigler was later sold to Paul Matyastik. A saloon owned and operated by Henry Jakubik went out of business during prohibition. The post office closed in 1904, and the population had declined to ten by 1933. In 1947 the community had revived somewhat and had two businesses and sixty inhabitants, but it had lost its business establishments and had declined to twenty inhabitants by 1964. In 2000 the population was still estimated at twenty, and by 2015 became a "ghost town" with a dwindling population of fifteen.

Rose Machalek Gavenda, "Personal Notes," September 5, 1977, original in possession of David Gavenda, University of Texas, Austin.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Edgeworth, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/edgeworth-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 6, 2016

Place
Edgeworth
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379702
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.95157410°
  • Longitude: -97.14054890°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009