Edison, TX


By: Ruben E. Ochoa

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Edison was on the Holdsworth Ranch near Tortuga Creek 2½ miles west of Loma Vista in southeastern Zavala County. A schoolhouse, variously called Edison School, Tortuga School, and West Loma Vista School, was established in the eastern section of the Holdsworth Ranch around 1906. In 1907 nineteen students attended the one-teacher school; that same year a post office called Edison was established in a nearby store that was owned and operated by relatives of the Holdsworths, N. B. Simmons and his wife. By the mid-1920s the community had been abandoned.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ruben E. Ochoa, “Edison, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/edison-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Edison
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Zavala County